Butterscotch Magic Bars are quick and easy dessert where every bite is filled with a sweet crunch. These bars are always a big hit.
In my family, everyone knows that I have a huge sweet tooth. If I could eat sugar all day, I would. My kids and I are always joking around about which tooth is the actual “sweet” tooth. I think for me, it is every single one. 🙂 Some of my favorite sweet treats are these German Chocolate Chocolate Chip Cookies, Apricot Nectar Cake and Yum Yum Pie.
What is a magic cookie bar?
I still remember the first time I tried a magic cookie bar. You know, the ones with layers of sweet chocolate chips, butterscotch chips and coconut deliciousness. You pour sweetened condensed milk over the layers and that’s what holds the bars together. Like magic! I was hooked after just one bite. These butterscotch cereal bars are similar to magic cookie bars but instead of graham cracker crumbs, I use crispy rice square cereal for the crust and also as the top layer. The cereal adds a nice crunch to the always delicious butterscotch, coconut and pecan combination.
How to Make Magic Bars
To make these amazing bars, start with some crispy rice square cereal.
- Coarsely crush 3 cups of the cereal. I like to put mine in a food processor to make it easy. You could also place the cereal in a sealed bag and crush it with a rolling pin.
- Next, place one stick of butter in a 13X9 pan and then put pan in a preheated oven. Once the butter is melted, sprinkle the crushed cereal on top of butter and mix it, spreading the buttery crushed cereal evenly on the bottom of the pan. This forms the crust.
- Sprinkle on butterscotch chips, coconut and then pour on sweetened condensed milk.
- Finally, add chopped pecans and 2 cups of uncrushed cereal.
- Make sure to press the nuts and cereal down firmly into the sweetened condensed milk. This helps everything stick together.
- Bake for 30 minutes, cool and then cut into squares.
These bars make a delicious snack or dessert. My husband brought them to work and he said they were gone in 5 minutes. I am a HUGE butterscotch fan but you could replace them with peanut butter chips or chocolate chips. Enjoy!
Other Cereal Desserts
Butterscotch Magic Bars
- 5 cups crispy rice cereal Chex
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- 1 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk 14 oz
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
- Coarsely crush 3 cups crispy rice square cereal.
- Place butter in 13x9 baking pan. Put pan in oven and melt butter.
- Sprinkle crushed cereal over melted butter to make the crust.
- Evenly sprinkle butterscotch chips and coconut on top.
- Pour sweetened condensed milk all over top.
- Sprinkle on pecans and 2 cups of whole cereal.
- Make sure to press cereal down firmly.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool and then cut in squares to serve.