Looking for the perfect summer foil packet recipe? Whether it’s to cook on the grill or in the oven, these corn and chicken foil packets are easily made with minimal clean up and maximum flavor!
Foil packet dinners are perfect when you’re camping, or when you just want the unique taste that comes from cooking foil packet meals. We recently posted our grilled shrimp foil packet recipe, and we are total lovers of making meals in the oven, like our oven baked chicken thigh recipe and our oven roasted corn recipe.
What are foil packets?
With the warmer weather, you may have been browsing Pinterest and noticed your feed was filled with foil packet dinner recipes, which had you wondering, “What are foil packets and how to make foil packets?”.
Foil packets are meals cooked in aluminum foil. Highly used by campers where they cook their foil packet meals over a campfire, foil packet meals are easy “one pan” recipes that are convenient for a quick clean up.
What can I put into a foil packet?
Foil packets are like sheet pans, but they don’t hold as much weight, and liquid can escape from it. So you definitely don’t want to make a casserole in a foil packet, but your favorite chicken and vegetable, shrimp and vegetable, salmon and vegetable, or even steak and vegetable recipe would be great options for foil packet recipe ideas!
How To Make Corn and Chicken Foil Packets
A big tip for making chicken foil packets is to not overfill your foil packets. This recipe makes two foil packets, so divide the ingredients over two foil pouches.
- First, season your chicken with seasoned salt. You can change this up a little by using Cajun seasoning or Adobo seasoning.
- Add your chicken to the center of your aluminum foil and add sweet peppers such as Italian roasting peppers, chopped bell peppers (any color), or if you want some spice, you can be brave and add a jalapeno or poblano pepper.
- Add corn to your chicken foil packet, there’s just something about grilled corn that make us happy! You can use frozen corn on the cob or fresh corn that you’ve cut into 2-4 inch chunks.
- Drizzle olive oil over all of the ingredients and sprinkle salt and pepper over the vegetables.
- Cover and seal your chicken foil packets and bake for 25-30 minutes!
What kind of chicken can I use in chicken foil packet recipes?
We recommend using boneless skinless chicken breasts for foil packet meals. You can also use boneless chicken thighs, or if you really want, you can use chicken wings since they don’t require too long of a cooking time. Chicken wings are also easy to wrap up in a foil packet.
Can I use canned chicken for chicken foil packet meals?
Yes! You can use canned chicken for chicken foil packet meals! Just adjust your cooking time to only as long as it takes to cook your vegetables.
How To Fold Foil Packets
Folding foil packets can be intimidating, just like folding a burrito for the first time. But it does not have to be!
To fold a foil pack you’re going to take a long piece of foil and fold it in half (width-wise) so that you have a double layer. Place your chicken, veggies and corn in the center of the foil, then fold over one side, fold the edges together and press to seal. Fold up the remaining 2 edges to make a small packet.
Don’t pack the foil together too tightly. You want room for the steam to escape.
How To Cook Chicken In Foil Packets
When making chicken foil packets in the oven, you need to first preheat the oven or grill to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. After your foil packet is packed and sealed, you need to cook the chicken foil packet for 25-30 minutes. This is for boneless chicken, if you’re using bone-in chicken, you’ll have to adjust your timing and add some more time to your chicken foil packets.
If you’re grilling chicken in foil packets, the timing may change. I’d suggest 20-25 minutes over a medium to medium high flame.
Recipes Related To Corn and Chicken Foil Packets
- Lemon Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner
- Apple Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner
- Garlic Herb Crusted Roast Beef
- Mexican Street Corn
Other Grilled Chicken Recipes
Want quick, easy foil packets and an easier cleanup? Buy Pre-made grilling bags! See them here.
Corn and Chicken Foil Packets
- 1 chicken breast (cubed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt (divided)
- 2 frozen whole corn on the cob
- 6 mini sweet and crunchy peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 sheets of 12 inch aluminum foil
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit or preheat grill on medium high.
- In a bowl, toss chicken breast with 1 teaspoon of seasoned salt.
- To one aluminum foil add chicken to the center and arrange vegetables on the side of the chicken. Drizzle olive oil over vegetables and sprinkle on remaining seasoned salt.
- Line the remaining aluminum foil over the food and close the ends together by rolling it together 2-3 times.
- Poke a hole into a corner and bake/grill for 25-30 minutes, or until vegetables are tender and chicken is cooked through.