Take your homemade banana bread to the next level by adding a layer of cheesecake filling. Cream Cheese Banana Bread is a delicious for breakfast, brunch or dessert.
If I could have anything for breakfast, I think it would be a slice of homemade quick bread alongside a cup of coffee. We’ve shared my grandma’s banana bread recipe, but it was time to give it an updated twist.
We’re crazy for cream cheese around our house, so stuffing the bread with a layer of cheesecake sounded like just the right thing to do!
Today we’re talking all about making this easy homemade cream cheese banana bread. Just in time for all of your fall baking!
What should bananas look like for banana bread?
If you have bananas on the counter that have black or brown stripes and spots then you know they are ready to make banana bread. Bananas for banana bread should be more brown than yellow. There’s really no “too ripe” bananas for banana bread. The more brown they are, the better it will be!
Can you make banana bread with yellow bananas? You can, but they won’t be very sweet and won’t mash well, so it isn’t recommended.
How to Make Cream Cheese Banana Bread
Quick breads are one of the easiest desserts to make. Because this bread has a cheesecake filling there is one extra step, but it is still quick and easy.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9×5 loaf pan with non-stick spray. You can also line it with parchment paper so it comes out easily, but this isn’t required.
In a small bowl, whisk together the 1 cup flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
In a large bowl, mix together the 3/4 cup sugar, butter, milk, vanilla, egg + egg yolk, until well combined. Why do you have to mix the wet and dry separately? It’s so you don’t overmix the batter. With quick breads and muffins, it’s best to only mix the ingredients until combined, so by mixing the wet and dry separately, you can be sure the eggs are fully mixed into the sugar and oil before adding in the flour.
In a small bowl, mash up the bananas. Use a potato masher to mash the bananas easily.
Then fold the mashed bananas into the wet sugar/egg mixture.
- Pour the dry mixture into the large bowl and mix everything just until combined.
- Next it’s time to make the cream cheese filling. In a small bowl, cream together the egg, cream cheese, sugar and flour.
- Pour half the bread batter into your prepared pan. Then, spoon the filling mixture over the bread and spread around evenly.
- Pour the remaining bread batter on top. Sprinkle with the walnut topping and bake for 50-60 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
How do you know when banana bread is done?
Testing banana bread for doneness can be tricky…especially when there is a layer of cheesecake inside. Here are a few tips:
- A toothpick inserted in the very top part of the center should come out clean.
- The bread should feel firm on top and not at all “mushy”.
- Use an internal probe thermometer. The internal temperature of the bread should be around 210º Fahrenheit.
How to Store Banana Bread with Cream Cheese
Because this bread has a layer of cheesecake inside, you’ll want to store it in the refrigerator. We like to eat bread like this cold. Just be sure it is in a sealed bag or container so the bread does not dry out.
Can you freeze banana bread?
Yes! This bread will freeze well. Once the bread is fully cooled, wrap it in plastic wrap, then place it in a zippered bag or a storage container. Freeze for up to 2 months.
When you are ready to serve it, allow it to defrost completely before opening the package. This will help prevent the bread from drying out.
Other Banana Recipes
- Chocolate Banana Bread Smoothies
- Nutella Stuffed Banana Muffins
- Mini Banana Coconut Cheesecakes
- Strawberry Banana Overnight Oats
- Dark Chocolate Roasted Banana Bread
Tools to Make This Quick Bread
- Potato Masher: Also great for mashing bananas.
- Saigon Cinnamon: This is our favorite cinnamon. You can’t beat its flavor!
- 9×5 Loaf Pan: These are the pans I use for quick breads, yeast breads, fried mush and more!
Cream Cheese Banana Bread
For the bread:
- 1 stick unsalted butter - melted
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg + 1 egg yolk
- 3 bananas
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
For the filling:
- 1 large egg
- 4 ounces cream cheese – softened
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
Make the bread:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 9x5 loaf pan with non-stick spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the 1-cup flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the 3/4 cup sugar, butter, milk, vanilla, egg + egg yolk, until well combined.
- In a small bowl, mash up the bananas and then fold them into the wet mixture. Pour the dry mixture into the large bowl and mix everything until combined.
Make the filling:
- In a small bowl, cream together the egg, cream cheese, sugar and flour.
- Pour half the bread batter into your prepared pan. Then, spoon the filling mixture over the bread and spread around evenly. Pour the remaining bread batter on top. Sprinkle with the walnut topping and bake for 50-60 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes and then remove the bread and cool completely on a wire rack. Slice and serve!