An easy, 1 pot homemade meat sauce cooks together with this spaghetti for a quick dinner. This Instant Pot Spaghetti is a great last-minute dinner idea. Serve with salad and garlic bread for a complete meal.
Instant Pot Spaghetti Recipe
Move over boiling pot of water…there is a new way to make spaghetti! My kids had tired of eating spaghetti. We ate it so much when they were little, they ended up not loving it. It had been quite awhile since I had fixed traditional spaghetti as a meal…that was until I tried in the Instant Pot. Game changer! We all now love spaghetti again. Here’s how you do it.
Homemade Meat Sauce
Meat sauce is easy to make in the Instant Pot. There are two ways to do this:
- Brown the meat and onion using the “Saute” feature , then drain off the fat. You should choose this option if you have a higher fat content in your meat.
- If you use a lean ground beef or turkey, you can just break up the raw meat and cook it along with sauces and seasonings. Since the beef is lean, you won’t be adding too much fat to the sauce.
We generally use the Saute feature so we can drain off any fat.
Oh…and don’t skip the pepperoni. We love recipes with pepperoni!
Make Spaghetti in the Instant Pot
You’ll cook the sauce for 4 minutes on high pressure, then you’ll quick release and add the uncooked spaghetti. Set the Instant Pot for another 8 minutes and let it come to pressure then cook. I love the texture and flavor of pasta cooked in the Instant Pot. The noodles absorb the sauce as they cook and have a much richer, more savory flavor than traditionally boiled noodles.
What to Serve with Spaghetti
Spaghetti is kind of an all-inclusive meal, but we like to serve it with a side salad and some homemade Italian bread. YUM!
Looking for More Instant Pot Recipes?
Tools to Make This Recipe
- Instant Pot: This has been a dinner prep game changer for many families!
- Ground Beef Meat Chopper: I recently got one of these and don’t know how I lived without it!
Instant Pot Spaghetti
- 1 ½ pounds ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 30 ounces tomato sauce, divided (2 cans)
- 14.5 ounces diced tomatoes (with liquid)
- 10 ounces Rotel diced tomatoes & green chilis (original, with liquid)
- 4 ounces sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 4 ounces chopped pepperoni (optional)
- 6 ounces tomato paste (divided)
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 8 ounces linguine or spaghetti
- Set the instant pot to saute and brown the ground beef and onion. Drain off any fat.
- Add 1 can of tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, Rotel, mushrooms and/or pepperoni (if desired), 3 ounces of tomato paste and seasonings.
- Set pressure cooker to manual setting, high pressure for 4 minutes. When finished, do a quick release.
- When the quick release has finished, open up the pot and add in linguine (broken in half), the second can of tomato sauce, and the remainder of the tomato paste. Push the pasta down into the rest of the sauce and break it up a little.
- Put the pressure cooker lid back on, set on manual setting, high pressure for 8 minutes. I find that different pastas can take different times. 8 minutes on high pressure gives us the texture of spaghetti that we like. If the noodles aren't as done as you like them after you take the lid off, quickly put the lid back on and seal it (but don't turn on the Instant Pot). Allow it to just sit for an additional 5 minutes or so and the noodles will continue to soften.
- After another quick release, add some Parmesan cheese and parsley to garnish, if desired.
- Serve immediately.