Your favorite pizza toppings alongside garlic cream cheese all rolled up in a tortilla. These Italian Pepperoni Roll ups are the ideal lunch, appetizer or snack for pizza lovers everywhere.
I’m a little addicted to pepperoni.
Pepperoni recipe ideas float around in my head on a regular basis. These Italian Pepperoni Roll ups jumped into my brain two weeks ago and I had to share them with you.
Pepperoni Roll ups
One of our most popular recipes on the site are these Mexican Tortilla Roll Ups. It always surprises me when these little bites go viral around popular party times such as New Year’s and the big sports games.
It’s doesn’t surprise me because they are so addictingly delicious, but it does surprise me that they are so simple!
I used my obsession with pepperoni to make an Italian version of this easy pinwheel recipe.
How to Make Italian Pepperoni Roll ups
- Start with a spinach or sun-dried tomato flour tortilla. Yes, you could use a regular flour tortilla, but aren’t green and the light orange color so much more fun? Plus, you get an extra boost of flavor!
- Spread a thick layer of the creamy, garlicky cheese mixture on top of the tortilla. Just a warning…don’t taste the cheese mixture or you’ll want to eat it all with a spoon and won’t have any left for the rollups.
- Cover the cheesy layer with pepperoni.
- Dice peppers, onions, olives, fresh mushrooms…whatever your favorite pizza toppings happen to be. Then sprinkle those veggies on top of the pepperoni. I used fresh mushrooms, yellow and orange peppers.
- Roll up the tortilla tightly and wrap it in plastic wrap. Refrigerate this roll for at least two hours.
What to Serve with Roll Ups
We like to serve our pepperoni roll ups with a side of pizza sauce, but you could also serve them with a melted cheese sauce, Italian dressing, or ranch dip.
I don’t like cream cheese. Can I use something else?
You could try using a ranch dip or mayo based sauce as the base, but we really don’t recommend it. Those are both runnier than cream cheese and it may cause your pinwheels to become too soft.
I don’t like sour cream. Can I use something else?
There is most likely more flexibility in this part. Use ranch dip or more cream cheese if you’d like. The way the recipe is written is the only way we’ve tried them.
If you try a different variation, let us know how you like it!
Make Ahead Appetizer
This is a great make ahead appetizer recipe. You can roll the tortillas up in the plastic wrap and refrigerate them until you are ready to cut and serve them. They’ll be fine in the refrigerator about 48 hours before the serving.
I call these appetizers, but I ate the high protein snacks for lunch two days in a row. I’d eat them every day if someone would make them for me!
Appetizer for a Crowd
This recipe makes enough for a crowd. You’ll use 5 large tortillas and cut them into about 6-8 slices, which will give you about 30-40 little pepperoni snacks.
Can tortilla roll ups be frozen?
I do not recommend freezing these pinwheels. The tortillas can sometimes get soggy after they are in the refrigerator for too long or are frozen too long.
Other Appetizer Recipes
Italian Pepperoni Rollups
- 5 10" flour tortillas (spinach sun-dried tomato or white flour)
- 16 ounces cream cheese softened
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup Italian shredded cheese or mozzarella cheese
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 16 ounces pepperoni slices
- 3/4 cup finely chopped yellow and orange peppers
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh mushrooms
- In a bowl, mix the cream cheese until it is smooth. Add the garlic, sour cream, cheeses and Italian seasoning. Mix until well combined.
- Divide this mixture between the 5 flour tortillas. Spread the cheese mixture to cover the entire tortilla.
- Put a layer of pepperoni over the cheese mixture.
- Sprinkle the finely chopped peppers and mushrooms overtop the pepperoni.
- Roll each tortilla up tightly and wrap it in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Slice when you are ready to serve.