Sweet and tangy Mustard BBQ Sauce is a MUST for summer picnics! This easy homemade barbecue sauce is a unique alternative to traditional sauces. Perfect for pulled pork!
We’re so in love with pulled pork sandwiches. In the summer we’ll start up the smoker and sometimes smoke 3 pork shoulders at a time. With 3 hungry teenagers in the house, we go through it quickly!
We also like to serve pulled pork to guests for summer parties and family gatherings. It’s fun to offer a variety of sauces that guests can use to create their own sandwiches. This mustard bbq sauce is one of our favorites!
What are the different kinds of bbq sauce?
I’m sure there are many types of barbecue sauces you can try, but we’ve found 3 that we love:
Red sauces are often sweet and thick, where as the white and mustard bbq sauces are usually a little runnier and have more of a vinegar flavor.
What does mustard bbq sauce taste like?
Mustard bbq sauces are sweet and tangy. The brown sugar makes it sweet and the mustard and vinegar creates the tang. This sauce is slightly spicy due to the cayenne pepper. You can add less cayenne pepper if you don’t want as much heat.
What’s in mustard bbq sauce?
- yellow mustard
- apple cider vinegar
- brown sugar
- spices such as cayenne pepper, paprika, garlic
- sauces such as mustard, ketchup, sriracha, bbq sauce and worcestershire sauce
- liquid smoke (this is optional…or use less to your taste)
How to Make Mustard Sauce
Combine all of the ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix well using a whisk.
The whisk helps break up the brown sugar and spices.
Place the sauce in a saucepan and cook it over low heat for 8-10 minutes.
**Pro Tip: Stir the sauce constantly to ensure that it does not scorch on the bottom of the pan.**
How to Store Homemade BBQ Sauce
Once the sauce has cooled completely, you’ll want to seal it in a glass jar or a plastic storage container with a lid that snaps tightly. Store the barbecue sauce in the refrigerator.
How long does homemade bbq sauce last?
You will want to cover this barbecue sauce and store it in the fridge. Use the sauce within 5 days of making it. If you have leftovers, you can freeze the sauce to keep it longer.
What to Serve Mustard BBQ Sauce With
What to Serve with Pulled Pork
Looking for a dijon mustard sauce? Try this one!
Mustard BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup yellow mustard
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons sriracha
- 3 tablespoons favorite bbq sauce (We used Sweet Baby Ray's)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke (or to taste)
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and whisk.
- Cook on low heat 8-10 mins. Continue to stir sauce to avoid scorching.
- Once all ingredients are all cooked together pour into bowl or jar.
- Allow to cool, then cover and refrigerate.