I’m a new Pinterest user. I know…I’m way behind the times.
Before I had this food blog, I loved searching Pinterest for ideas, but didn’t have an account. Now that I have an account, I’m trying to actually make some of the ideas that I’ve pinned!
This Patriotic Layered Taco Dip is one idea I found before Memorial Day and decided to take it to a picnic. Everyone loved it!
You’re going to love this Patriotic Layered Taco Dip, too, because it is yet another quick, easy side dish that doesn’t involve turning on your oven. Who wants to turn on your oven in the summer time anyway?
Unless, of course it is to make this Potato Chip Chocolate Pie!
For this recipe, you’re going to first spread some sour cream on the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. Then you’ll sprinkle some taco seasoning on top. Remember our Homemade Taco Seasoning that you made a big batch of? This is yet another great use of it.
After the taco seasoning, you’ll layer on a few black beans and some lettuce. Then you get to make the pretty flag design with cheese, sliced olives, and halved grape tomatoes.
And so festive!
There are several variations you can do to make this taco dip your own.
Don’t like beans? Leave them out.
Want some meat in it? Add the taco seasoning to some ground beef or shredded chicken. If you do this, I suggest putting the meat on the bottom of the pan, then start the layers with the sour cream next.
I would suggest not making this too much ahead of time. I ended up a with a little bit of water on the bottom of the pan, possibly from washing the veggies right before putting it together. So you’ll want to dry your veggies really well, and don’t let it sit too long before serving.
- 3 cups sour cream
- 3 Tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 cup black beans, washed and rinsed
- 4 cups shredded lettuce
- 2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup sliced olives
- In the bottom of a 9x13 pan, spread the sour cream. Then sprinkle the taco seasoning and black beans on top of the sour cream. Spread the lettuce over top of the beans. Lay out the halved tomatoes in lines to form a flag. Put cheese between the tomato stripes, and then put the sliced olives in the top left corner to look like stars.
- Serve with tortilla chips!
Recipe Inspiration: Family Fresh Meals
Looking for a July 4th dessert? Try these Cream Wafer Sandwich Cookies!
This is our favorite Homemade Taco Seasoning: