I have another yummy cookie to share with you today. What makes this one different from others I’ve posted is that these don’t have peanut butter or chocolate! It’s a simple sugar cookie that I have for you today. Nothing too complicated or different. It’s just a standard recipe, but is one of the best sugar cookies I have ever had. If you love Chewy Sugar Cookies and are looking for a new recipe to try, this is the one for you!
What makes these cookies stand out from the rest?
They are thin, chewy, buttery cookies.
You’ll most likely have all of these ingredients in your pantry. That makes these cookies just the right ones to satisfy that sweet tooth craving!
They are brushed with buttermilk. Don’t have buttermilk? Add a few drops of vinegar to the 4 tablespoons of milk and let it sit for 3-5 minutes. Voila…buttermilk!
Do you know those Pillsbury break-and-bake or roll cookie dough in the refrigerated section of the grocery store? These taste so similar. They could really be a copycat version, but are even better because they have a home-made taste!
They bake up perfectly. They really look like they come from a bakery!
After whipping up the simple dough, you will shape the dough into 1 inch balls. You’re going to use a cup and flatten them just a bit. Then brush them with buttermilk and put sprinkles on top! We used rainbow sprinkles since my little sister was having a rainbow birthday party. But really, who doesn’t love rainbow sprinkles? They just make everything more fun. In fact, with school starting, these would be a great little treat to put in your child’s lunch bag. Sprinkles would brighten their day!
This recipe made about 36 cookies. Don’t let that fool you though into thinking it is a lot, though. We brought these cookies over to my grandma’s house one afternoon, and that very night they were gone! (I’m mostly blaming this on my brother:)) We suggest a double recipe if you want any the next day:)
Thanks for visiting!
The best chewy sugar cookies ever...they look like they are from a bakery!
20 minPrep Time
8 minCook Time
28 minTotal Time
- 2 3/4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup softened butter (but not melted)
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons buttermilk
- Sprinkles or colored sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Gradually blend in dry ingredients. Add just enough of the buttermilk to moisten the dough and make it soft, not wet. We used about 1 tablespoon.
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. With a pastry brush, moisten the top of each cookie with the remaining buttermilk and slightly flatten the top of each cookie with the bottom of a glass. Sprinkle with colored sugar or colored sprinkles.
- If you'd like a thicker cookie, refrigerate the cookie dough for 30 minutes to 1 hour before baking.
- Bake for 8 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes on the baking sheets before removing to cool on a rack.
Recipe from FoodNetwork.com