Soft, chewy sugar cookies that tastes just like Pillsbury. A quick under 30-minute cookie recipe with no refrigeration required.
I have another yummy cookie to share with you today. What makes this chewy sugar cookies recipe different from others I’ve posted recently is that these don’t have peanut butter or chocolate! It’s a simple sugar cookie. Nothing too complicated or different. Although it is a quick and easy recipe, it is one of the best sugar cookies I have ever had. If you love Chewy Sugar Cookies and are looking for a new recipe to try, this is the one for you!
What makes these cookies stand out from the rest?
- They are chewy, buttery cookies with a hint of vanilla flavor.
- You’ll most likely have all of these ingredients in your pantry. That makes these cookies just the right ones to satisfy that sweet tooth craving!
- They are brushed with buttermilk. Don’t have buttermilk? Add about 1/2 teaspoon of white vinegar to the 4 tablespoons of milk and let it sit for 3-5 minutes. Voila…buttermilk!
- There’s no need to refrigerate this dough. You can refrigerate it if you’d like, but the cookies that you see in these pictures did not have refrigerated dough. They flatten out perfectly, without spreading too much.
Do you know those Pillsbury break-and-bake or roll cookie dough in the refrigerated section of the grocery store? These chewy sugar cookies are a copycat recipe to those classic cookies. They taste very similar, yet have a comforting homemade flavor.
This recipe made about 36 cookies. Don’t let that fool you though into thinking it is a lot, though. We brought these cookies over to my grandma’s house one afternoon and that very night they were gone! (I’m mostly blaming this on my brother:)) We suggest a double recipe if you want any leftover for the next day. 🙂
- 1 cup butter softened, but not melted
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar (337 g)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (385 g)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3-4 tablespoons buttermilk divided
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar until smooth.
Beat in the egg and vanilla. Set aside.
In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking soda, and baking powder.
Gradually blend the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
Add just enough of the buttermilk to moisten the dough and make it soft, but not wet. We used 1 tablespoon.
Roll dough into 1 inch balls and place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Slightly flatten the top of each cookie with the bottom of a glass that you've dipped in sugar.
With a pastry brush, moisten the top of each cookie with the remaining buttermilk.
Sprinkle with colored sugar or colored sprinkles.
Bake for 8 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes on the baking sheets before removing to cool on a rack.
Store in an airtight container.
Recipe from FoodNetwork.com