Are you looking for a quick and delicious dinner? You will love this Instant Pot Cube Steak recipe! With tender cube steak and a creamy sauce, this is a weeknight dinner everyone will enjoy.
So often when it comes to dinner time, it’s a struggle to come up with a great dinner that comes together easily. Especially when resources are limited. It’s the end of another day (busy or not) and it would be so nice to be able to snap your fingers and dinner is done!
I can’t give you a magic wand to make dinner in a flash, but I can give you this wonderful Instant Pot cube steak recipe so you can have a delicious meal made quickly.
What is cube steak?
This recipe uses cube steak, which is a different cut of meat that you may not always use. I remember using it often when I was growing up and you may too.
If you happen to see a package of hamburger looking steaks in the store, grab them up. They’re actually not hamburger, but rather round steak or top sirloin pounded out to tenderize it. We’ll show you how to cook them up to be tender in an easy, flavorful gravy.
What is in traditional cube steak?
Here is what you will need to make Instant Pot cube steak. You’ll find these are general pantry staple items and I’ll give you hints for substitutions, too:
- Cube steak. Now if for some reason you can’t find cube steak, you could also use round steak.
- All-purpose flour. You could use gluten free flour if you’d like.
- Garlic powder and pepper. Simple seasoning you should have in your pantry. If you happen to be out of garlic powder, you could use minced garlic.
- Olive oil. Or any other of your favorite cooking oils to brown the beef.
- Beef broth. Don’t have beef broth? Use beef stock or beef bouillon cubes. Even a packet of onion soup in water would work!
- Cream of mushroom soup. Or cream of celery, cream of potato…or even cream of chicken in a pinch.
- Onions and mushrooms. Onions are pretty important to the flavor of this recipe, but the mushrooms are optional. Not all of my family are fans of mushrooms so we often leave them out.
How to Make Instant Pot Cube Steak
The first step to making cube steak is to dredge the steaks in flour and seasonings then brown them. Is this step necessary? For flavor, yes. It seals in the juices and caramelizes the exterior of the meat. 100% worth the time. combine the flour, garlic powder, and pepper then dredge the cube steaks in the mixture to coat all sides.
The nice thing about Instant Pots are that you can brown the meat right in the pot. No need to dirty an extra skillet! Turn your Instant Pot on and set to saute. Add the olive oil and when it is hot, place the steaks in the Instant Pot and brown on both sides.
In a small mixing bowl, mix together the beef broth, cream of mushroom soup, chopped onions, and sliced baby bella mushrooms. Pour this mixture over the browned cube steaks.
Close the lid and set the valve to sealing, then set the Instant Pot to high pressure cook for 20 minutes. When the cook time is finished, allow the pressure to release naturally before opening the Instant Pot.
When you allow the IP to depressurize naturally, it gives time to further tenderize the meat. If you let the pressure out quickly, the meat may not be tender.
What Should I Serve with the Instant Pot Cube Steak?
The cube steaks and creamy mushroom sauce are fantastic with these side dishes:
- Mashed Potatoes – Scoop a generous heap of fresh mashed potatoes onto a plate and top with a cube steak. Spoon the sauce over top.
- Rice – Steam white or brown rice and top with the cube steak and sauce. You can even do cauliflower rice for a low carb side dish.
- Rice Pilaf – Serve rice pilaf on the side with this Instant Pot cube steak.
- Tossed Salad – A fresh tossed salad is a nice compliment to your cube steak dinner.
- Vegetables – Serve the cube steak with a healthy side of steamed or oven roasted green beans, carrots, broccoli, asparagus, brussels sprouts, or any veggies you enjoy.
Instant Pot Cube Steak
- 2 pounds cube steak
- ½ cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups beef broth
- 10.5 ounces cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine flour with garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Flour both sides of cube steak.
- Set Instant Pot to saute. Add the oil to heat it.
- When oil is hot, add the steaks. Brown both sides of steak.
- Combine the beef broth, soup, onion and mushrooms in a separate bowl.
- Pour over the steak.
- Close lid and seal the Instant Pot. Cook on high pressure for 20 minutes. Then allow the pot to depressurize naturally.
- Serve over potatoes or rice.