Mild and tangy, this Instant Pot Honey Mustard Chicken recipe is a must make! Uses chicken drumsticks or your favorite cut of chicken.
If you’re looking for a new weeknight recipe that delivers on flavor and the whole family will love -all while letting it cook in the Instant Pot, then this minimal prep Instant Pot honey mustard chicken recipe is for you!
Our family loves easy Instant Pot meals for busy weeknight meals. For instance, Instant Pot baked beans with a side of grilled hot dogs, grilled corn, and some coleslaw is a summer dinner staple. Another favorite of ours is a reader favorite, our Instant Pot spaghetti!
What is honey mustard?
You’ve probably seen the condiment bottles labeled with “honey mustard” before in the grocery store or dip options for chicken tenders at KFC but always wondered, “What is honey mustard chicken?”
Honey mustard is a condiment made up of Dijon mustard, honey, orange juice, spices, and some chopped jalapenos for good measure. This amazing sauce is used as a dip, for salads, or a dressing/marinade. It goes great with chicken or seafood.
When you shop for the honey mustard, it will be in the mustard area and labeled “honey mustard”, just like “Dijon mustard”. Keep your eyes open, when I shopped at Walmart for it, there was only one “honey mustard” that is mustard and not a jarred dressing sauce among a million kinds of mustard jars.
Is honey mustard chicken healthy?
Yes, honey mustard chicken is healthy. This is a whole food recipe that is gluten-free. This specific recipe is a honey mustard sauce without extra honey and without cream.
Chicken Drumsticks in the Instant Pot
We used drumsticks for this recipe. They are cheap and have amazing flavor. You’ll find that they cook really quickly in the Instant Pot, making this an easy recipe for weeknights.
Can I use boneless, skinless chicken breasts instead of drumsticks?
Yes, you can! If you choose fresh chicken breasts, cook them on high pressure for 6 minutes, then allow the IP to naturally depressurize for 5 minutes.
How To Make Honey Mustard Chicken In The Instant Pot
For this easy chicken in the pressure cooker, we’re going to put drumsticks and the remaining ingredients into the Instant Pot. Mix it all together and close with the lid to seal. Cook for 13 minutes and dinner is done!
Tips for using the Instant Pot
When using the Instant Pot for making honey mustard chicken, it’s important to remember a few things.
- Add water to your Instant Pot– this is crucial for almost everything that gets cooked in an Instant Pot.
- Set your valve to sealing– be sure to check the top that it’s on “sealing” to cook your chicken.
- Frozen chicken?– Add one more minute to cooking time!
- Be careful when opening!– When the Instant Pot has depressurized, use a hand towel to open the lid to protect your arm from any excess steam.
Is honey mustard sauce spicy?
If you remove the seeds from the inside of jalapenos, it helps tone down the heat. Our specific recipe made a mild honey mustard chicken recipe. If you want a spicy honey mustard chicken recipe, feel free to leave in a few seeds or even add more jalapeno peppers.
Want a honey-free version of honey mustard chicken? You can replace the honey mustard with only your favorite kind of mustard and with agave or maple syrup. Make the marinade before adding it over the chicken to taste and adjust the amount you add of syrup or agave as you go to your preference.
Can you sear meat in the Instant Pot?
Yes! Searing helps deepen the flavor of meats. If you want a beautiful golden sear to your chicken, you can do that right in the Instant Pot.
Feel free to saute the chicken on the saute function for about 3-4 minutes, with minimal olive oil or butter until the sides are browned a bit. If you do decide to brown the chicken first, adjust cooking time to only 9 minutes.
What To Serve With Honey Mustard Chicken
The sauce makes the dish, so it’s only natural to serve this chicken with sides that will absorb the honey mustard sauce. Honey mustard chicken and rice is our favorite way to eat this tasty dish. Here are some simple side dish ideas to serve with this easy dinner:
- white rice (our preferred way)
- mashed potatoes
- sweet mashed potatoes
- simple risotto
- grits (think shrimp and grits, just shred the chicken before mounting over the grits)
- steak fries (keep the ketchup away and dip right into the honey mustard sauce)
- spicy sweet potato fries
Other Recipes You’ll Love
Now that you’ve made this tasty Instant Pot chicken recipe, you’re probably wondering “what’s next”, if you are, you’ll love these recipes:
- Honey garlic chicken wings– perfect with a side of fries!
- Honey oregano pork chops– Spanish rice would be fun with this!
- Slow cooker pork chops with gravy– stay classic with a side of mashed potatoes.
- Garlic mustard grilled chicken– enjoy with an ice cold drink!
- Corned beef and cabbage– oh so good!
Need an Instant Pot? We often find great deals on them at Kohls! Check out the IP Duo here.
Instant Pot Honey Mustard Chicken
- 6 chicken drumsticks (skin removed)
- ¾ cup honey mustard
- ¾ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup water
- 1 jalapeno (chopped and seeds removed)
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon worchestire sauce
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- chopped parsley
- Add all ingredients to the Instant Pot, close and seal, set manual high pressure to 13 minutes.
- Once 13 minutes are up, hit cancel and do a quick release.
- Preheat oven to broil. Place chicken in a pan.
- Place chicken in the oven and allow chicken to roast a few minutes to brown the chicken and crisp it up.
- Serve over rice and garnish with parsley.