An easy to make casserole for busy weeknights! Oven Baked Chicken and Gravy is the ultimate comfort food. Perfect with potatoes or rice.
Over the summer I started a bad habit. Not cooking dinner. We were out and about, in and out at different times every day. I got away from having dinner at a certain time each day and was just happy if I managed some semblance of a meal a few times a week.
I’ve been trying to get back to the basics this season and make dinner a priority. That means having easy meals on hand at all times. This oven baked chicken and gravy is one of those meals that my family loved.
What you’ll love about this recipe:
- only 6 ingredients
- use chicken breasts or your other favorite cut of chicken
- easy gravy
- creamy parmesan cheese
- ready in under 45 minutes
What cut of chicken is best for baking?
Most often we have boneless skinless chicken breasts in the freezer ready for quick meals. That’s what we used in this recipe because they cook up quick and easy. There are two other options we’ve tried:
- chicken tenders
- boneless skinless chicken thighs
We don’t prefer to use skin-on chicken because it doesn’t crisp up. But you can certainly use it if you don’t mind that.
Ingredients for an Easy Gravy:
This recipe uses pantry items to make a quick and easy gravy:
- Cream of chicken soup.
- Chicken gravy mix.
- Parmesan cheese.
**Pro Tip: Buy a block of parmesan cheese and shred it right before sprinkling it on the chicken. The cheese will melt in making the gravy perfectly smooth. If you use canned parmesan cheese, it will not melt in easily.**
How to Make Oven Baked Chicken and Gravy
- Lay chicken flat in a greased 9×13 pan. Lay sliced onions over the chicken.
- Mix one cup of water with the cream of chicken soup. Pour this over the chicken. Sprinkle the gravy powder over the top. Pour the rest of the water over everything.
- Top with parmesan cheese.
- Cover and bake for 10 minutes at 425º Fahrenheit. Then uncover and bake for an additional 20-30 minutes.
- Use cream of mushroom or any other cream gravy you’d like! Even cheddar cheese soup would be delicious.
- If you like onions, use onion soup mix for a twist.
- Use cheddar cheese instead of Parmesan.
What to Serve with Chicken and Gravy
Oven Baked Chicken and Gravy
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts (trimmed and pounded to an even 1" thickness)
- 1 medium white onion sliced
- 2 1/2 cups water divided
- 10.5 ounces condensed cream of chicken soup (1 can)
- 1 envelope chicken gravy powder (0.87 ounces)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese (freshly shredded)
- Lay chicken flat in a greased 9×13 pan.
- Lay sliced onions over the chicken.
- Mix one cup of water with the cream of chicken soup. Pour this over the chicken.
- Sprinkle the gravy powder over the top.
- Pour the rest of the water over everything.
- Top with parmesan cheese.
- Cover and bake for 10 minutes at 425º Fahrenheit.
- Then uncover and bake for an additional 20-30 minutes.
Other Chicken Dinner Recipes
Try one of these chicken dinner ideas!