This Perfect Pizza Sauce is a quick and easy homemade recipe. Make a big batch…the leftovers can be frozen to use another time. Plus a tip for the easiest pizza sauce ever.
Friday nights are the “It’s the weekend, let’s party!” night in our house. We generally make delicious homemade pizza and settle down to a movie. In the busyness past year we had gotten away from our tradition.
But with our latest stay at home orders, we’ve renewed our love for pizza night.
Years ago we went on the hunt for the perfect pizza sauce. I stumbled across this homemade pizza sauce recipe years ago and this was the sauce we finally settled on as our favorite. It’s the perfect blend of spices, tomato flavor, and sweetness for our family. My guess is that you will like it, too!
Easy Pizza Sauce Recipe
This sauce recipe is a homemade version of some of your favorite pizza sauce brands. Here’s what you’ll love about it:
- simply seasoned with pantry staple seasonings
- tomato puree for intense tomato flavor
- add as much or as little water as you’d like for a thin or thick sauce
- leave the sugar out if you’d like to make it Whole30 and Paleo friendly
How to Make Pizza Sauce From Scratch
There are three simple steps to making the tomato sauce:
- Pour the puree and all of the spices into a saucepan.
- Turn the stove on medium heat until it starts bubbling, whisking constantly.
- Turn down the heat to low and let it simmer for 30 minutes.
Easy, right? Your very own extraordinary pizza sauce!
I’ve told you that I’m a somewhat picky eater, right? I’m not one for chunks of veggies in my sauce, so this smooth, flavorful sauce is perfect in my book.
**Pro Tip: Do you like chunks in your sauce? Add a can of drained diced tomatoes. You can also add mushrooms or peppers.**
Easiest Pizza Sauce Ever
Here’s a bonus. What if you don’t want to take 45 minutes to make a sauce. If you need a pizza sauce NOW?
This is the answer: Take a can of whole plum tomatoes and run them through the food processor until they are smooth. And that’s it.
When I visited Chicago last year, we learned all about the best homemade pizza (find our tips here). And the recommended this trick for blending whole canned tomatoes for a quick sauce. I honestly loved it more than I thought I would. It gives such a rich, fresh taste to the pizza.
So while the recipe below is a great alternative to jarred pizza sauce from the store, the blended tomatoes serve as a quick substitute.
What to Serve Pizza Sauce With
Pizza sauce is great on homemade pizza, but also on:
Perfect Pizza Sauce
- 2 cans tomato puree (29 ounces each)
- 1 1/4 cup water
- 5 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 5 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon basil
- 3/4 teaspoon thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Mix all ingredients into a saucepan.
- Turn stove onto medium heat until sauce starts to bubble.
- Let simmer for 30 minutes. Put it on your pizza or use it as a dip!
Try this Perfect Pizza Sauce with Perfect Pizza Crust!