Creamy, cool, and with just the right amount of ripe strawberry chunks and buttery cookie crumbles, this easy strawberry fool dessert recipe is your go to summer treat!
Where did the name strawberry fool come from?
The answer is not crystal clear. We do know that it dates back to the 16th century. My answer? It’s a foolproof dessert!
This strawberry and cream recipe is great to make with big, plump, fresh juicy strawberries. Or if you are trying to find a way to quickly use your almost overripe strawberries, you can use those too!
However, I caution against using frozen strawberries for strawberry fool -unless you thaw them out first.
Strawberry Fool Ingredients
There are three steps to making strawberry fool. One is making the easy strawberry puree in a blender, the other is macerating the strawberries, and the final step is making the whipped cream mixture.
Strawberry Puree Ingredients:
- Half of the strawberries (remember to remove the green stems).
- Powdered sugar (use swerve or monk fruit for a low carb option).
- Lemon juice (fresh or bottled).
Strawberry Macerating Ingredients:
- The other half of the strawberries (cut into chunks).
- Granulated sugar (again, choose a substitute for a low carb option).
- Quick tip- the fresher your fruit, the less sugar you need. Fresh strawberries are pretty sweet and will create a nice amount of juice.
What is macerating? It is a process where natural fruit juices are expelled quickly with the aid of sugar. This turns your strawberry chunks into a soft and tender fruit topping.
Fool Whipped Cream Ingredients:
- Heavy whipping cream.
- Plain yogurt (sour cream or mascarpone works too.)
And cookies… can’t forget the cookies!
We used butter cookies, but any kind of wafer cookie should work well. I advise to go for the softer kind of cookie, like butter or shortbread cookies since they tend to crumble easier.
How to Make Strawberry Fool
- Add strawberries, powdered sugar, and lemon juice into the blender.
- Pulse a few times to create a strawberry puree.
- Add the remaining half of the strawberries with the granulated sugar into a bowl, toss it together, and set to the side.
- Add your fool whipping cream ingredients to a bowl and mix on high for 4-6 minutes or until stiff peaks develop. Do not over mix!
- Gently fold in both strawberry mixtures to your creamy fool whip mixture.
- Divide strawberry fool mixture into wine glasses or dessert bowls.
- Refrigerate an hour, or until the strawberry fool mixture is set.
- Once the strawberry and cream dessert has set, crumble cookies on top.
How long is fruit fool good for?
Consider any fruit fool like a parfait or pudding. (Or any dessert with whipped cream). You want to eat it sooner than later. As it sits it may get watery and not look as appetizing.
Fruit Fool Add Ins
Now that you have the recipe for strawberry fool, you may be wondering what else can be added to a fruit fool recipe.
Go for a theme, like strawberry cheesecake by swapping out the butter cookies with crushed graham crackers.
Here are some additional add in options:
- crushed graham crackers
- cream cheese
- nuts (finely crushed)
- chia seeds
- ground flax seeds
- protein powder
Serve strawberry fool after having an amazing summer dinner with these dishes:
- grilled lemon salmon
- grilled lemon basil pork chops
- grilled peach and bacon salad (Save any unused strawberries for this salad recipe!)
- 2 cups strawberries (washed and hulled)
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- ½ cup butter cookies (crushed)
- Additional strawberries (sliced for serving)
- In a blender, puree 1 ½ cups of the strawberries with the powdered sugar and lemon juice.
- Dice the remaining ½ cup strawberries and sprinkle them with the sugar.
- In a large bowl whip the cream until soft peaks form.
- Add the yogurt and beat until thick.
- Fold in the strawberry puree and diced strawberries. Do not completely mix them in.
- Spoon into wine glasses or dessert bowls.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour, until set.
- Top with additional sliced berries and crushed cookies before serving.