Cake Mix Pancakes

You know how we love pancakes. Pancakes on a Saturday morning just make the day seem brighter.

Experiment pancakes on a weekday are the absolute best. And no, I don’t mean Protein Pancake, which we’ll be sharing with you soon. Those are good, but today we aren’t going for healthy. Not in the slightest bit. Experiment pancakes means my mom found a great pancake recipe to try and decided not to wait until Saturday for some reason. Yay!

When you take your first bite of these Cake Mix Pancakes, cold or hot, buttered or syrup-ed, you will instantly think CAKE. And to me, cake for breakfast is a dream come true.

Cake Mix Pancakes {Tastes of Lizzy T}

We have several versions of pancakes as you already know. Our Buckwheat Pancakes and Hearty Whole Grain Waffles are only the start of all the many breakfast ideas we have for you. Stay tuned!

These Cake Mix Pancakes are really simple. All you need is 1 cake mix of any flavor you’d like (we used red velvet), 2 1/2 cups milk, 1/2 cup flour, 1/4 cup of oil, and 2 eggs. It makes about 18 pancakes, depending on the size you make them. We make ours about 6 inches across. If you like yours smaller, go for it!

How pretty would these be for the morning of July 4th? Patriotic Pancakes!

At different times of the year, at the change of seasons and after holidays, we usually stock up on cake mixes that are super cheap.  This is a great way to use a spare cake mix that is sitting around.  And as we made them, I could just imagine all the different flavors of cake mixes that we could turn into pancakes!

The day we made the pancakes, I at a couple for breakfast. You’ll love them because they  taste like cake, but are in a pancake form. They’re really soft and tore easily, sort of sticky on the bottom. I told mom that they were the newest thing added to the list of things I crave! My brother and I came back for more at lunchtime. We split up the ones with whip cream on top (someone has to eat the “model” pancakes from the pictures!) and put them in the microwave. The whip cream completely dissolved into the pancake. Talk about a perfect lunch!

2If you like your pancakes thick, you’ll want to start only with 2 cups of milk. The more milk you add from there, the thinner the batter gets, which results in thinner pancakes. If you choose to go thin, be careful flipping them. They are like cake and tear easily. I personally like mine thick, but not too thick. I like a good solid pancake, not a floppy one. But however you make them, I guarantee, you’ll love them!

Red Velvet Pancakes

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 20 minutes

Yield: 18 Pancakes

Red Velvet Pancakes

These quick pancakes are made with a boxed cake mix! Use any cake mix flavor you'd like!

Ingredients

• 1 boxed cake mix (choose your favorite flavor!)
  • 1/2 cup flour
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 1/2 cups milk
  • 1/4 cup oil

Instructions

In a large bowl, mix the cake mix, flour, eggs, milk and oil together until combined. Heat a griddle to medium high heat and spray with cooking spray so the pancakes flip easily. Scoop a ladle of batter onto the pan and cook until the top of the batter starts to bubble. Flip the pancake and cook for another minute or two on the other side until cooked all the way through.

Notes

Use less milk if you'd like a thicker pancake.

Spray the griddle with cooking spray before ladling on more batter!

Comments

1. says

Mmmmm these are so vibrant! I’ve not tried cake mix pancakes and I’m not sure what to make of them, but they look amazing! Thank you so much for linking up with me this week at Tasty Tuesdays! I’ve pinned this & shared it with my followers! Please be sure to stop back by the party and check out some of the other links!

2. Chelsey says

What a cool idea! I tried them and the only downshot is it seemed like the 2 1/2 cups of milk was too much (I used skim, if that matters); it turned the pancakes more into crepes (not that there’s anything wrong with that ;-)).

I will definitely try this recipe again with a new cake batter (I did yellow) and less milk. This was certainly a hit with my 5 year old son!

• Lizzy T says

We do like our pancakes on the thinner side, so you could definitely add less milk for a thicker pancake. Also wondered if maybe your cake mix box was a slightly different size than ours? Not sure, but glad you liked them! Thanks for the comments!

• Lizzy T says

I generally use canola oil, but you can use vegetable oil, too. I even use olive oil at times but it does change the texture a bit.

• Lizzy T says

I usually buy Pillsbury cake mix, but if there is another on sale, I’ll buy that kind. I’ve used the store brands, too!

3. Tiff says

I wasn’t sure if flour was needed, bc at the top of the page, listed in a paragraph I’m assuming Lizzy wrote, it didn’t say to use flour. But at the bottom of the page when summarizing again, what would be needed to make the cake pancakes, it listed flour. So I’m not sure. lol : \ I’m assuming the flour is needed, and maybe they jus forgot to list it at the top of the page. Could someone please write me back and let me know. Better to be safe than sorry. :D Ty sooo much!

• Lizzy T says

Yes, you are right! You do need 1/2 cup flour. Thanks for pointing that out. I added up at the top of the page, too!

4. Tiff says

Awll. Thank you so much Lizzy for replying. I actually forgot that I wrote a question on here. I just popped back on this site to go Ahead and finally try to make those pancakes now, when I was pleasantly surprised to see that you wrote me back the next day so soon. Lol :D Even though I hardly ever go on websites are ask any questions or leave comments, the few times I have, people don’t usually reply back, because By the time I end up finding their website, It’ll be like a year or at least months later after they’ve already posted on their website. But anywhooo. I’m so exhausted I can barely write I just wanted to thank you again. Obtw, I love your website. :)

5. Leslie N says

These look wonderful. Can’t wait to try them. Do you recommend homemade whipped cream or Cool Whip on top? Thank you.

• Lizzy T says

You know what, Leslie? I’ve never made my own whipped cream! :( I need to do that! We either use Cool Whip or spray whipped cream, but I’m sure homemade would be amazing!

6. Nicole says

I’m definitely going to try these :) !! Just curious, what would happened if you just prepared the cake batter like it says on the box and proceed to make pancakes with it?

• Lizzy T says

It would work, it would just be a lot more “cakey”. And I’d be sure to spray the griddle good, so they didn’t stick. Enjoy!

• Lizzy T says

You can use water, equal amounts. The pancakes won’t be as rich as they would be with milk, but it will work!