Make that sweet tooth smile with these deliciously addicting Chocolate Strawberry Cupcakes. A rich chocolate cupcake is frosted with light strawberry buttercream and topped with chopped strawberries!
Chocolate Strawberry Cupcakes
Hey guys, it’s Alli here from Tornadough Alli. Just thought I would introduce myself to all you Tastes of Lizzy T readers! I’m a born and raised Minnesota girl who loves to whip up fast fix family favorite meals, delicious desserts and decadent cakes!
Speaking of those delicious desserts…you guy’s have to add these Chocolate Strawberry Cupcakes to your menu. I mean seriously, these are utterly and completely delicious. But I’m kind of a sweets addict so I may just be a little biased on this one.
When it comes to desserts, I’m a fan of cakes in all of its forms. Bundt, sheet, layered, cup, heck give me a cake pop and this girl will be happy! This Black Forest Cake? Yup…love it. These Sweet Potato Bourbon Mini Bundt Cakes? Guilty. But there is something about cupcakes that get’s me every time. Maybe it’s that they are handheld and I don’t need to eat them with a fork, or maybe it’s because I don’t feel guilty eating more than one.
There is something about chocolate and strawberries that just go together so well. These Chocolate Strawberry Cupcakes are just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to different chocolate combinations out there, but chocolate and strawberries have just been an iconic duo since like the beginning of time!
Homemade Chocolate Cupcakes
This recipe starts with a from scratch chocolate cupcake that stays moist with sour cream and oil. It uses all-purpose flour and makes just a small batch. Only 15 cupcakes! Use water in the recipe as shown, or to intensify the chocolate flavor, use strong black coffee in place of the water. Coffee intensifies the flavor of chocolate. Trust me. It’s good!
Strawberry Buttercream Frosting
I used about 1/2 a cup of fresh strawberries in this frosting recipe. Puree the strawberries to and use 1/4 cup of strawberry puree. Beat the butter first until it is almost white in appearance, then add in the powdered sugar. Lastly, beat in the strawberries and vanilla.
This frosting tastes like a strawberry milkshake!
Don’t they just scream eat me? Well to me they do, but anything that contains chocolate and frosting kinda screams at me to put it in my belly. But in all seriousness, I encourage you to make these delicious handheld treats!
Other Strawberry Recipes
- Strawberry Crumb Bars
- Strawberry Shortcake Scones
- Strawberry Shortcake Cheesecake
- Donut Strawberry Shortcake
- Strawberry Bread
Chocolate Strawberry Cupcakes
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup plus 2 Tbs all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup warm water
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ cup pureed strawberries (about ½ cup strawberries)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In a bowl using a stand mixer or hand mixer, mix together your sugar, flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt and stir to combine.
- Add in your egg, sour cream, oil and vanilla and mix until just blended then stir in your water and whisk until smooth.
- Line a cupcake pan with cupcake liners and fill about halfway full with batter, bake for about 15-17 minutes until center is set and toothpick comes out clean.
- Set aside to cool.
- To make the frosting, in bowl beat your butter until smooth and almost white in appearance.
- Slowly mix in your powdered sugar about 1 cup at a time until combined.
- Add in your strawberry puree and vanilla and continue to mix until blended.
- Add frosting to piping bad fitted with an open star top and pipe a circle on the outside of cooled cupcakes. Or simply use a knife to frost the cupcakes.
- Sprinkle diced strawberries in the middle and serve.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.