Seasoned and browned hamburger patties get baked in a creamy mushroom sauce. This Easy Salisbury Steak is the ideal comforting main dish. Instructions for the slow cooker and then oven.
Homemade Salisbury Steak
It’s been years since I’ve made salisbury steak. I grew up eating it and made it often when we first got married, but with my non-stop obsession of trying new recipes, this ol’ standby was forgotten! Salisbury steak is an easy dinner idea will be making its way back into our dinner rotation. Let’s talk about how to make it!
How to Make Salisbury Steak
We make salisbury steak with a lean ground beef and season the meat with salt, celery & onion. Bread crumbs and eggs help hold the patties together. The amount of patties you end up with depends on how big you shape the patties. We shoot for about 8-9 patties from 1 1/2 pounds ground beef.
Brown the patties in a hot skillet with coconut oil or olive oil. They do not have to be browned all of the way through because they will finish cooking in the oven or slow cooker.
Place the patties in a baking dish, cover them with the gravy that we talk about below, cover the casserole and bake for at least 30 minutes. Sometimes I leave mine in the oven for up to an hour, but I’d say 30-45 minutes is average. Again, the baking time will depend on how big the patties are that you make and the type of baking dish you use.
Salisbury Steak Gravy
This recipe calls for a very simple gravy of cream of mushroom soup and water. With the flavors in the beef, there is really no need for any other ingredients. If you’d like, you can add fresh mushrooms to the sauce. My husband loves it when I do this!
Make Salisbury Steak in a Crockpot
You can make salisbury steak in the oven, or you can make it in the crockpot. I don’t notice too much of a flavor difference with either method. The slow cooker method would be good if you want to brown the patties in the morning, then keep them simmering and warm until later in the day.
To make salisbury steak in the slow cooker, simply brown the patties, place them in the slow cooker, then pour the soup mixture overtop. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours.
Other Ground Beef Recipes
Easy Salisbury Steak
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 2 large eggs (beaten)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 21 ounces condensed cream of mushroom soup (2 cans)
- 1/2 cup water
- Combine the beef, salt, bread crumbs, onion, celery and eggs.
- Mix well, then shape into 8 patties.
- Heat the oil over medium heat. Brown the hamburger patties on both sides. Don't worry about cooking them through as they will continue to cook in the oven.
- Place the browned patties in a casserole dish.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mushroom soup and the water.
- Pour the soup mixture over the patties.
- Cover and bake for 40-45 minutes or until heated through and bubbly.
- Serve over mashed potatoes, rice or noodles.
- **If you'd like to make this in the slow cooker, brown the patties as described above, then place them in the slow cooker. Pour the soup/water mixture overtop. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours.