This sweet potato pie recipe uses vanilla pudding for the best ever flavor and texture. Learn how to make the best homemade sweet potato pie recipe from scratch! It’s one of our best potato recipes!
Homemade Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
Sweet potatoes were never something I craved…that is until I started baking with them.
Is sweet potato pie a dessert or side dish?
Sweet potatoes are often thought of as “healthy”, but when you bake with them, I’m sorry to say that sweet potatoes are not that great for you. Sweet potato pie is a dessert because of the amount of sugar that goes into the recipe. Sweet potatoes do have many health benefits though (they are a great source of Vitamins A, C and B6) so hey…if you want to eat it as a side dish, go for it!
Do you use yams or sweet potatoes for sweet potato pie?
Yams that are found in US grocery stores are a type of sweet potato. True yams are often not found around the US except in specialty markets. US yams are higher in sugar content and get very soft when they bake. Sweet potatoes are starchier and are better for cooking and frying because they keep their shape. Yams are great to use for sweet potato pies and other baked goods. You can use either for this recipe.
How to Make Homemade Sweet Potato Pie
- The first thing you need to do when making a sweet potato pie is prepare the crust. We love homemade crust and you can find all of our tips on making the best pie crust by clicking here. If you’d like to take a shortcut, buy an unbaked refrigerated crust.
- Fresh sweet potatoes vs. canned sweet potatoes. You can use either for this recipe. Fresh sweet potatoes (or yams) will obviously mean a pie that tastes just a little bit fresher. If you choose fresh sweet potatoes, peel the potatoes, cut them in chunks, then boil them in water until they are soft. Drain the potatoes and mash until they are creamy. For canned potatoes, be sure to drain all of the liquid off of the potatoes before you mash them.
- We like to use a hand mixer to blend the sweet potatoes and sugar together. This allows the potatoes to get completely mashed so your sweet potato pie is smooth.
- Vanilla pudding and sweetened condensed milk both add to the flavor of this pie. You can use sugar free pudding mix if you’d like!
- This pie will take about 40-50 minutes to bake. A knife inserted in the center of the pie should come out clean and the pie should seem mostly firm in the center.
Other Sweet Potato Recipes
- Sweet Potato Bread
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Healthy Sweet Potato Casserole
- Sweet Potato Fries
- Sweet Potato Puffs
Kitchen Tools Needed to Make Sweet Potato Pie
- Pastry Cutter: I use this tool all the time. It cuts butter into flour perfectly for streusels, crusts and other pastries.
- Pastry Mat: This silicone mat keeps your cupboard clean and makes rolling out pastries so easy.
- Cute Pie Plate: Because if you’re taking the time to make pie, serve it up in style!
- Pie Crust Decorator Wheel: Makes beautiful edges to your pie!
- Pastry Guide: Makes perfectly round crust, every time.
Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
- 2 cups cooked mashed sweet potatoes
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup butter (very soft so it mixes in easily)
- 1 small box instant vanilla pudding (dry mix..do not add milk!)
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk (1 can)
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 unbaked pie crust
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Blend sweet potatoes and sugar with a hand mixer.
- Add one egg, then beat the mixture.
- Add the second egg and beat again.
- Add softened butter, pudding mix, condensed milk, cinnamon and vanilla. Mix well.
- Pour into an unbaked pie crust and bake for 40-50 minutes.