Sweet Potato Bread Recipe
Sweet potato bread is a classic, but is often left forgotten. If pumpkin, zucchini and banana breads are getting old, try this easy sweet potato bread recipe. I know we often have a leftover can of sweet potatoes sitting in our pantry from holiday dinners. If you do too, pull it out and whip up this easy bread!
How to Make Sweet Potato Bread
- To keep the recipe easy, we used canned sweet potatoes. They are easy to mash and basically ready to go. If you’d like to use real sweet potatoes, simply peel them, chop them into chunks and boil them until they are soft. (Reserve 2 tablespoons of the water that you boiled them in to use in the recipe.)
- Besides sweet potatoes, the quick bread recipe is pretty basic with eggs, sugar, flour, etc. You’ll add allspice, nutmeg and cinnamon which will give this bread a comforting, warm flavor.
- Remember that the key to quick bread is not to overmix the batter. You’ll want to mix it just until it is all combined. Don’t use a hand mixer or stand mixer…just use a spoon. This ensures that your bread will bake up soft!
- Add chopped pecans if you’d like…or leave them out.
- Bake the batter in one loaf pan or 4 mini loaf pans.
- Be careful with the timing. Watch the bread closely…many loaf pans have just a little different shape and size so timing can differ. Turn on the oven light to check to see if the bread looks done. Be careful not to open the oven too much or the bread may fall in the center.
Quick Bread Recipes
Tools to Make This Bread
- Potato Masher: Mash potatoes easily by hand with this fine-grid potato masher.
- 9×5 Loaf Pan: These are the pans I use for quick breads, yeast breads, fried mush and more!
- Mini Loaf Pans: Split the batter between these 4 pans for easy gift giving!
Sweet Potato Bread
- 15 ounces canned sweet potatoes (drained, save 2 tbsp of liquid)
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x5 loaf pan (or mini loaf pans) with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash sweet potatoes in 2 tablespoons of liquid.
- Add sugar, water, oil, and eggs to mashed sweet potatoes and mix well.
- Add flour, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, cinnamon and allspice, and baking powder. Mix well.
- Stir in chopped pecans.
- Pour evenly into prepared pan(s). Bake for 60-70 minutes or until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.**
- Cool for 15 minutes in the pan. Turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container.
***The calories shown are based on the loaf being cut into 10 pieces, with 1 serving being 1 slice of bread. Since different brands of ingredients have different nutritional information, the calories shown are just an estimate.