If you’re looking to spice up your next grilled skewers, try these dry rub BBQ Chicken Skewers with peppers and onions. An easy recipe ready in about 40 minutes.
Today we’re making a fantastically delicious chicken skewers recipe. You’ll love this easy dry rub that gives chicken an excellently spicy flavor. Use your favorite veggies on the skewers and have this healthy dinner recipe in no time!
BBQ Chicken Skewers or Kebabs?
I had a hard time naming this recipe. Are they kebabs? Are they bbq chicken skewers? Either works. Skewers are the wooden sticks that the meat and veggies are threaded on so that they cook.
We’ll call them both names as we talk about this recipe.
Best Chicken for Kebabs
What cut of chicken should you buy for bbq chicken skewers? We like to use boneless skinless chicken breasts. You can also use boneless skinless chicken thighs. They have great flavor and are tender!
How long do you soak wooden skewers before grilling?
The wooden skewers will take awhile to soak up water. You can soak them for as long as overnight…or at the very minimum, soak for 30 minutes. This is the first step to making skewers!
If you have metal skewers, you can use them too.
Need to buy skewers? We love these!
How to Make Grilled Chicken Kebabs
The first step to making bbq chicken skewers is to mix up the dry rub. Please note…this is a spicy rub as written. It has one whole teaspoon of cayenne pepper. If you don’t want it as spicy, feel free to reduce that down to 1/4 teaspoon if you’d like!
Season chicken with BBQ seasonings. Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes while you chop up the veggies.
To a skewer, rotate adding in chicken, peppers, and onions, repeat until the skewers have been filled about 1/2 way (about 3-4 pieces of each). We end up with about 10 skewers, depending on how big the chicken breasts were.
Preheat a grill to 400º Fahrenheit. When you make the grill this hot before placing the skewers on, they won’t stick as much.
Add skewers to the grill and cook for 10-15 minutes, turning occasionally or until chicken temperature reaches 165 degrees internally.
What Vegetables to Use on Skewers
We kept this a low-carb recipe and only used peppers and onions. If you’d like, add mushrooms, potatoes or even zucchini. Get creative with the veggies you add!
Can you prepare kebabs ahead of time?
Yes! This is a great make-ahead recipe. Make the skewers the night before or even the morning of grilling. Then cover them and refrigerate. Remove them from the refrigerate about 30 minutes before you put them on the grill. This will help the skewers cook more evenly.
What to Make with Chicken Skewers
Other BBQ Chicken Recipes
BBQ Chicken Skewers
BBQ Chicken Seasoning:
- ¼ cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or less for a milder flavor)
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar **
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 boneless chicken breasts (cut into cubes)
For the skewers:
- 3 green peppers (cut into thick pieces)
- 3 red peppers (cut into thick pieces)
- 1 large onion (cut into thick pieces)
- 10-12 skewers (soaked for at least 30 minutes)
- If you are using wooden skewers, it is important to soak them first. You can soak them overnight or at least 30 minutes before making the kebabs.
- In a small bowl mix together BBQ seasonings.
- Season chicken with BBQ seasonings. Let the mixture sit for 10 minutes.
- To a skewer, rotate adding in chicken, peppers, and onions, repeat until the skewers have been filled about 1/2 way (about 3-4 pieces of each).
- Preheat a grill to 400º Fahrenheit.
- Add skewers to the grill and cook for 10-15 minutes, turning occasionally or until chicken temperature reaches 165 degrees internally.
- Serve warm.