Dinner ready in under 30 minutes! This easy taco soup recipe is packed full of beef and veggies. The best Mexican soup to serve your family.
We’re adding this easy taco soup with black beans to the mix today. It’s perfect for a last minute meal because it is ready in about 30 minutes. Don’t you love recipes like this when life gets hectic?
What is the difference between chili and taco soup?
You may wonder what makes a beef and tomato based soup taco soup instead of chili. Our chili recipe is full of beef, tomatoes, chili powder and beans, but it doesn’t have any Mexican flavorings in it.
Our taco soup on the other hand is full of things you might find in a taco or burrito: beans, corn, tomatoes, beef, peppers…and taco seasoning. Many taco soups call for chili powder (and you can totally use it in this recipe), but we use taco seasoning to just really make the Mexican flavor pop.
How to Make Taco Soup
This quick and easy taco soup can be ready in under 30 minutes with the help of canned ingredients.
A few hints about taco soup ingredients:
- Use any type of ground meat you like. Beef, turkey, chicken or even chorizo!
- Use Rotel instead of diced tomatoes. Keep the juice!
- You can use frozen or canned corn.
- This is a great recipe to use up little bits of pasta that may be leftover in your pantry. Any shape will work.
This simple taco soup is almost a dump and go soup. You can even brown the ground beef ahead of time so on busy weeknights you can just add everything to the skillet and heat.
Here are the 3 steps to beef taco soup:
- Brown. In a large saucepan or dutch oven, cook the beef, onion and garlic until meat is completely browned. Then drain off any fat.
- Boil. Add the stock, tomatoes, beans, corn, picante sauce, pasta, green pepper, and seasonings. Bring to a boil and stir occasionally.
- Simmer. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until pasta is tender.
What to add to Mexican soup?
Can you make soup with pasta in the slow cooker?
Yes you can! If you don’t have time to watch the soup cook on the stovetop, then you can make it in the slow cooker. There’s just two things to remember:
- You’ll still need to brown the beef separately on the stovetop. Drain the fat, then add to the slow cooker.
- The pasta will only take about 2-3 hours to cook on low in the slow cooker. If you add it at the beginning and let it cook all day, it will get mushy. Add it towards with just a few hours left of cooking time.
Easy Taco Soup
For the soup:
- 1 pound ground beef
- 3/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 32 ounces beef stock
- 14.5 ounces petite diced tomatoes (1 can, undrained)
- 15.25 ounces black beans (1 can, rinsed and drained)
- 1 cup frozen corn (or 1 can corn, drained)
- 1 1/2 cups picante sauce
- 2 cups spiral pasta (uncooked)
- 1 medium green pepper chopped
- 3 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- cheddar cheese
- sour cream
- tortilla chips
- In a large saucepan or dutch oven, cook the beef, onion and garlic until meat is completely browned. Then drain off any fat.
- Add the stock, tomatoes, beans, corn, picante sauce, pasta, green pepper, and seasonings.
- Bring to a boil and stir occasionally.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until pasta is tender. Garnish with cheese and tortilla chips.
- After the mix comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes. The soup is done when the pasta is tender.
- Top with sour cream, cheese or tortilla chips.
Adapted from Taste of Home
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! That actually saves a step since you don’t have to brown the beef.
Yes! We often use Rotel tomatoes in place of diced tomatoes for an extra boost of flavor.
Yes! You can use your favorite brand of salsa or sauce.
Yes. It may take more time to cook though.
You can use chili powder instead of taco seasoning if you’d like.
What do you eat with taco soup?
Here are a few ideas of what to pair with taco soup: