How to make the BEST baked sweet potatoes! We’ll give you hints on how to get a crispy crust and fluffy potatoes inside. Plus the best sweet potato toppings!
Baked Sweet Potatoes
I didn’t eat too many sweet potatoes when I was growing up, but we eat them on a weekly basis now. I love how they are naturally sweet…and their vibrant color is hard to pass up. They are versatile and can be used in breads and even pies. But today we’re keeping things simple and teaching you how to make THE BEST baked sweet potatoes.
Are sweet potatoes healthy for you?
Sweet potatoes tend to be known as the “healthy” potato. They are naturally sweeter than white potatoes, but are lower in calories and carbs. They a good source of fiber, Vitamin A and Vitamin C.
What is the best way to bake a sweet potato?
The technique for the best sweet potatoes is really very simple.
- Choose sweet potatoes that are about the same size so they bake evenly.
- Poke holes in the potato with a fork.
- Rub oil all over the outside of the potato.
- Rub coarse sea salt all over the outside of the potato.
- Bake at 425º Fahrenheit for about 45-55 minutes (depending on the size of the potato).
Do you poke holes in potatoes before baking?
Yes!!! In all honesty, we’ve never had a potato explode, but we’ve heard the horror stories. Poking holes in the potato helps steam to escape which will hopefully prevent potatoes being splattered all over your oven. Take the time to poke holes. Don’t say I didn’t warn you.
Should you wrap potatoes in foil before baking?
We do not recommend wrapping potatoes in foil before baking. This will “steam” the skin and will not produce a crispy crust. Some will say the potatoes cook faster if they are wrapped in foil, but fast is not our goal here. Crispy skin and amazing flavor is our goal!
What temperature to bake sweet potatoes?
We bake potatoes in a 425º Fahrenheit oven. We find this helps the potatoes to cook in a reasonable amount of time, plus helps the potato skins to crisp nicely.
How long to bake sweet potatoes?
The exact amount of time it will take to bake sweet potatoes depends on the size of the sweet potato. An average sized sweet potato is about 8-10 ounces. This size potato will take about 45-55 minutes to bake at 425 degrees. Test the potato at 45 minutes. If you stick a fork in the potato, it should feel soft inside.
What can you put on a sweet potato?
Sweet potatoes are a great base for just about anything. We’ve topped them with pulled pork, taco fixings and even roast beef. If you’re looking for something a little simpler, try butter, maple syrup, brown sugar or a sprinkling of cinnamon.
Other Sweet Potato Recipes
- Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Paleo Sweet Potato Casserole
- Our Favorite Potato Recipes
Baked Sweet Potatoes
- 4 whole sweet potatoes (washed and dried)
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Wash and dry the potatoes.
- Pierce the potato 2-3 times with a fork.
- Rub oil all over the potatoes.
- Rub salt all over the potatoes.
- Place the potatoes on a baking sheet and bake for about 45-60 minutes. The exact baking time will depend on how large the potatoes are. The potato should be tender inside if you poke a fork into it.
- Serve with butter, maple syrup, brown sugar or cinnamon.