Comforting slow cooker meatball potato soup simmers has a mild flavor and is full of veggies! Use frozen meatballs for a quick dump and go dinner recipe.
With our growing meatball recipe collection on this site, it’s about time we shared a recipe to use meatballs in. Meatball soup was a logical first choice! Although this recipe uses frozen meatballs, you can make your own, cook them and freeze them (we think this recipe is the best), then use them in this recipe.
Meatball Potato Soup Recipe
For all of you busy moms out there, you’re going to love this soup! It is so quick and easy. The most work is chopping the veggies, which always seems like a daunting task but really doesn’t take that long. And the best part of about this recipe? My kids like to take the leftovers in their lunch! Healthy school lunch win.
Are frozen meatballs healthy?
As with any food, you want to read the label. Many have preservatives and a low meat content, so be sure to find meatballs with quality meat. We like to buy gluten free meatballs for this soup. If you find a good quality meatball, they can be great to keep on hand for a quick protein boost.
What kind of potatoes are good for soup?
We use red potatoes in this soup. Red potatoes are waxy and tend to hold their shape well during cooking. Russet potatoes will fall apart as they cook, but red potatoes hold together.
How do you make meatball soup?
- Peel red potatoes and cut them into 1.5″ chunks.
- Dice an onion. You can use white or red onion. We usually use white in this soup.
- Peel and chop 3 carrots. Or, use baby carrots and skip the peeling!
- Chop 2 stalks of celery.
- Add in worcestershire sauce, beef broth (or beef stock), salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
Can I make this soup in the Instant Pot?
Yes! Add all of the ingredients to the Instant Pot. Seal and set on high pressure for 15 minutes, then use a quick release to release the pressure.
What to Serve with Soup
Some of our favorite breads are buttery soft rolls, buttermilk bread, honey wheat bread, and fluffy biscuits. Soup is good served with salad also. Try our antipasto salad, broccoli salad, strawberry spinach salad or cucumber tomato salad.
Other Potato Soup Recipes
Meatball Potato Soup
- 6 medium red potatoes (peeled and chopped)
- 15-20 frozen meatballs
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 3 carrots (peeled and chopped)
- 2 stalks of celery (chopped)
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 cups beef broth
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- Chop all of the veggies.
- Add all of the ingredients into a slow cooker.
- Mix together and cover.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6-8 hours.
- Serve warm.