My grandma’s easy country white bread recipe. This is a thick, rustic bread with perfect texture and flavor. Make in the bread machine or in the oven.
We get rave reviews on our dinner roll recipe. Have you tried it yet?
I am (unfortunately) in a house that usually doesn’t normally have white bread sitting around. We generally have wheat bread, which I guess I’ve gotten used to and now I think it is pretty good. But sometimes? I just want a piece of hearty, warm, homemade country white bread.
Grandma’s Homemade Bread
Our go to recipe is a beautiful golden brown bread loaf. This buttermilk country white bread is my grandma’s recipe. We have many good memories of this fresh bread being served at Grandma’s dinner table alongside pork chops, meatballs and roast beef.
Bread Machine White Bread
The great thing about this recipe is that it is simple and easy. If you have a bread maker, you can throw the ingredients in based on your bread machine specifications, and a couple of hours later you’ll have the perfect loaf of bread. It’s a great country white bread machine recipe. This is how my grandma makes this amazing bread.
**Pro Tip: Be sure to follow the instructions for adding ingredients to the bread maker. Each machine is slightly different!**
Knead Bread Dough with Mixer
We don’t have a bread maker, so we use our stand mixer to mix the dough, then knead with the dough hook let the stand mixer do the job of kneading the dough for 5-7 minutes. The dough should be stretchy (and not break when you stretch it).
We put the mixer on low speed. And watch it closely. Because the bread dough is thick, the mixer can sometimes move around on the countertop. We’ve had it fall off the counter before. Yikes!
Where do you put bread dough to rise?
Put the dough in a greased bowl and covered it to let it rise in a warm place. Our favorite warm place is the oven. Just turn it on to the lowest temperature setting for a minute or two to get it warm. Then turn off the oven and place the covered bowl of dough in the oven to rise for until it is doubled. This usually takes about 30 minutes.
You can also place the covered bowl in the sun…or even use your slow cooker to allow bread dough to rise!
How to Bake Homemade Bread
- Take the dough, form it into an oblong shape and place it in a greased 9″x5″ bread loaf pan.
- Cover the bread again and let it rise for 25 minutes or so in the pan.
- Bake the bread at 375 degrees Fahrenheit for about 40 minutes.
You should end up with a beautifully golden brown loaf of bread.
Homemade Bread for Sandwiches
This is a delicious homemade sandwich bread. The problem is that we have a hard time keeping our hands off it when it first comes out of the oven in order to have any leftovers for sandwiches.
What do you serve with homemade bread?
There are so many options!
- cinnamon butter
- sweet apple butter
- peanut butter
- lemon blueberry refrigerator jam
- pimento cheese
Other Homemade Bread Recipes
Country White Bread
- Pour the warm water (between 95-115 degrees) in a stand mixer bowl. Sprinkle the yeast on top of the water and wait about 5 minutes for the yeast to activate. Then add the rest of the ingredients to the mixing bowl. With the paddle attachment, mix the ingredients until they are just combined and completely moistened. Then take off the paddle attachment and replace it with the dough hook. Knead the bread on medium speed for about 5-7 minutes.
- Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover it with plastic wrap. Let it rise in a warm space for about 30 minutes or until doubled in size. Punch the dough down.
- Take the dough ball, form it into a loaf and put it in a greased loaf pan (I use a 9"x5" size). and let it rise again for about another 25 minutes.
- Bake at 375 for 35-40 minutes or until golden brown. Allow the bread to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then move to a wire rack to cool completely.