You can have a healthy, low carb breakfast in under 20 minutes! This one-skillet tomato and zucchini breakfast egg bake is an easy way to start your day right.
I always start the day with lofty goals of eating healthy. Even though I wake up thinking about homemade cinnamon rolls, I try to push that out of my mind and shoot for high protein and low carb.
I’m a “take one meal at a time” kind of girl. The longer I go throughout the day eating healthy food, the more determination I have to continue. Because of that, I need a variety of healthy breakfast ideas. This is a new one that I find super easy since I normally I have eggs, tomatoes and zucchini in the fridge.
What we love about Keto egg bake:
- make with just 4 main ingredients
- uses just one skillet
- change the seasonings to what you like: Mexican, Italian or just salt and pepper
- use any cheese you like (or leave it off altogether)
- ready in under 20 minutes
What is an oven safe pan?
Most pans can go from stove top to the oven because we are only cooking the egg bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit (and most cannot tolerate temperatures over 500 degrees F). Make sure to inspect the pan to make sure that the handles and knobs of the pan can also tolerate the heat. Check for any plastic or wooden parts that may not do well under those temperatures.
If you need to make sure that your pan can tolerate the oven, you should be able to find that information written on the bottom of that pan or if you check the manufacturer guidelines on the pan.
What if I don’t have an oven safe pan?
If you don’t own a pan that will go from stove to oven…don’t worry! Cook the zucchini and tomatoes in a skillet, then combine all of the ingredients in a round 8” cake pan (be sure to spray the cake pan with non-stick cooking spray first.) Then cook in the oven.
Note: You may need to cook your eggs slightly longer because the cake isn’t hot already like the skillet would be.
How to Make an Easy Egg Bake
There are just 4 quick steps to making these easy baked eggs:
- Heat. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. In an oven-safe pan over medium- high heat, heat the oil.
- Saute. Add in zucchini and tomatoes and cook until tomatoes blister, about 3-5 minutes. Take pan off heat.
- Add eggs & seasonings. Crack 6 over the top of the zucchini and tomatoes. Add on salt and pepper and sprinkle on parmesan cheese.
- Bake. Place pan in oven and cook for 8-10 minutes or until eggs reach your desired doneness.
8-10 minutes is for soft set eggs. Add extra minutes to further cook the eggs.
Add the fresh parsley at the end of a pretty look. That is optional though. If you chose Mexican seasonings you could garnish with cilantro. Delicious!
Is this good the second day?
The vegetables will be softer, but yes…this makes a quick breakfast to reheat on another day. This dish can be stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days if sealed in an airtight container.
What to Serve with Healthy Egg Bake
This breakfast egg bake can be paired with a number of other breakfast options. I personally enjoy eating it alongside toast and a bowl of fresh fruit (that’s not low carb…I know). If you are looking for low carb options, think about eating with a breakfast sausage or ham.
Breakfast Egg Bake
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil (coconut or olive oil)
- 2 cups zucchini (sliced and halved)
- 2 cups grape tomatoes (halved)
- 6 large eggs
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese (can be substituted for your favorite cheese)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- parsley (optional garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In an oven-safe pan over medium- high heat, heat the oil.
- Add in zucchini and tomatoes and cook until tomatoes blister, about 3-5 minutes. Take pan off heat.
- Crack 6 over the top of the zucchini and tomatoes.
- Add on salt and pepper and sprinkle on parmesan cheese.
- Place pan in oven and cook for 8-10 minutes or until eggs reach your desired doneness.
- Remove from oven and garnish with chopped parsley. Enjoy!